Wednesday, November 9, 2016

President-Elect Trump: He Was Not My Candidate. He Is Now My President.

He was not my candidate. He is now my president. 

And even though my heart isn't in it, and my mind is exploding, he has my support. I would expect the same from Mr. Trump's followers, if we were addressing, instead, a Madame President in two months.

I strongly disagreed with President-Elect Trump on much of what he said, regarding both policy and people. 

While some of his policies were appealing, I questioned their motivation and feasibility. 

Now we see if the promises can be accomplished:

- He will clear out unnecessary bureaucracy and cronyism in our government.

- He will replace Obamacare with "something better."

- He will bring jobs back to our heartland.

- He will ensure religious freedom. [For all: not just Christians.]

- He will work to make abortion illegal.* 

- He will secure our borders to make us a safer nation.** 

I hope our country grows stronger under President Trump. I hope our country does not become strong on the backs of the weak. I fear for those who are immigrants, Muslim, LGBTQ, single mothers, and especially, children in poverty. 

*To those who joyfully await the legislative end of abortion in our country: please, I beg of you, do not walk away once we flood our nation with babies in poverty and disability. Yes, they deserve to live. But they deserve to live in loving homes with quality healthcare. Every child deserves this. Please support legislation that protects children once they're born.

**I understand national security. I do not understand punitive deportation for those who are here peacefully with hope for a better life. I don't believe the Bible supports blanket deportation either. 

Deuteronomy 10:18-19 – “For the Lord your God...loves the strangers, providing them food and clothing.  You shall also love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.”

Let's move on, united. 


By Max Goldberg from USA - Trump CAUCUS, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=47178138




No comments:

Post a Comment