Sunday, June 5, 2016

Judgey McJudgerson Shuts Her Mouth. Kind Of.

Something interesting happened at Mass this morning. I quit complaining about having too many young children to attend Mass as a family, and enjoyed the solitude of just one sweet little baby and me. 

This is our new normal since Baby Number Five In Seven Years arrived three months ago. 

Before having kids, I would judge parents who went to separate Masses to avoid bringing their little ones to church. (I think my current life is one huge immersive lesson in empathy to make up for all the ridiculous judging I did for the first 30 years.) Anyone who knows me knows I still have a judge-y mouth, but believe it or not, this is me, censored! It used to be worse!

Anyway, back to irresponsible Catholic parents who had too many children and then couldn't control them at Mass, I think I'm learning to embrace it. 

I sat through an entire Mass without a songbook dropping to the floor, peed pants, shoes falling off, kneelers crashing, queries on whats-for-lunch, urgent incomprehensible whispers, or tears over a scratchy pew. And it was nice. I will look forward to doing it again next week! 

And judge not, lest the Lord give you three children in two years!

Next thing you know we'll be contributing to building campaigns, applauding announcements before the Concluding Rite, and letting our kids play video games during the liturgy. 

Anyway, until we have a community in our new town who will usher our children to sit with their better trained, holier, older families, we'll just keep tag teaming Mass with our older kids and enjoying the season.





No comments:

Post a Comment