Thursday, October 16, 2014

Because Everyone (Apparently) Wants To Know

As the admitting nurse in the Labor & Delivery wing of the hospital filled out my paperwork, she casually asked, "Do you want your tubes tied?"

It took me a moment to realize this is a real question, on the admitting paperwork for moms in labor, about to give birth. "Have you had prenatal care?" "Will you want an epidural?" "Do you want your tubes tied?"

WELL, GEEZ! What woman in labor, in her right mind, after 9 months of carrying around baby(ies) and extra hormones, and an inevitable future of no sleep and more budgeting DOESN'T want her tubes tied?! What a terrible time to ask someone to make a life-changing, long-term, irreversible, expensive decision!!! 

It's like asking a marathon runner at mile 25 if they're ever going to run again. It's like asking the winner of Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest if they'd like another hot dog.

Congratulations! Do you ever plan on eating a hot dog again? You know where hot dogs come from, right?
I guess if I'm audacious enough to have two kids at once, I shouldn't take offense to strangers wanting to know about our future family plans. 

And they all ask. Every nurse through 3 weeks of bed rest. The anesthesiologist giving the epidural. All our usual best friends around town -- grocery store checker, post office clerk, other parents at the park, the pediatrician, the pediatrician's wife (whom I don't know, but happened to be at the office during the babies' first wellness visit), and the random neighbor I've talked to twice (the second time about whether or not we're "done.")

After giving birth to the twins, my mid-wife reminded me every single day for four days straight that there should be no sex for four weeks. I heard her on the first day, but I guess I laughed too many times about Irish twins and how funny it would be if we had two sets of twins nine months apart. So I got the "no sex" talk for three more days in a row.

So here's the deal. Since everyone (apparently) wants to know, I will share our future family plans right here, on my blog, for the world to see! 

Today, this 16th day of October 2014, having no assurance of anything for the future (as no one really does), we will uncompromisingly commit to the following as the definitive and right number of children for our family (also with the clear intention that no more of them come as sets):

I don't know. We'll see.



5 comments:

  1. I usually say the same in a sing-songy voice and with a carefree smile. Shocks the pants off everyone. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who works in labor & delivery, I can tell you that there is a REASON we ask. We have to plan for the O.R. time, consents have to be signed, etc., etc. Anesthesia has to have a heads up so they can be available, etc. It does NOT mean we are judging you for the number of children you have or that we are being nosey. And no, while you are 9 months pregnant or in labor is not the time to make a life-altering decision. This is something you & your husband should have thought through and decided on months ahead of time.

    As for your neighbor and everyone else? Yep, they're just being plain nosey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha that is funny! I always kind of shrug my shoulders and give a non-committed answer. After all, it's not up to me. I should know as I've conceived 2 times while on birth control :-) Cute blog, I look forward to reading more. Here is my link: http://rahabtoriches.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the insight, Lisa! I really didn't realize this was a thing until this l&d experience. I didn't mean any slight against the l&d team. They were all absolutely phenomenal, and I am so grateful for their good care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miranda, thank you for sharing your blog link! We're doing the home school thing too, but are just starting out. It's been easier and more enjoyable than I expected!

    ReplyDelete