Thursday, September 19, 2013

7 Quick Takes: Kids Cheering for the Umpire and Making Life Easier (?) (vol. 12)

1. This Week, In The Successes Of DIY

I used tinker toys to successfully retrofit an older model grass catcher to the lawn mower. Then I sprint-mowed the lawn in a skirt during the last 20 minutes of "Barney" in an attempt to preempt the rain.

2. And The Failures

I got a mouth full of 87 unleaded in my attempt to siphon gas from the old mower. And did not siphon any gas.

3. Well Who Knew

I've been sadly watching the leaves on our azaleas turn brown and thin out, convinced they were suffering from a bug infestation or some weird plant disease. Note to self: even bushes in the shade need water.




 
4. Play Ball! Wait, No, That Park Looks More Fun.

I love to take Joe and Josh to the rec-league baseball games that Wally umpires. The boys sit behind the fence at home plate, confusing fans from both sides, as they cheer for the umpire and anyone who's currently at bat.

This week, the ball park had a really cool playground right by Wally's field, and baseball just can't compete with that.

 

5. Top 10 Ways Kids Make Life Easier

#Six: You're too old to act like a baby over long check-out lines, but your kids aren't. After 4 minutes in the check-out line, I stop singing "Twinkle, Twinkle," and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider," and just let the kids wail. Usually another line will open pretty quickly.

6. Unfortunate Coincidences
This week, I got to meet MRS. MARGARET MCDERMOTT! Unfortunately, this opportunity coincided with the first week of washing cloth diapers in the Bader Household, which also coincided with the realization that our "cloth diapers are so easy" mentality was because we stopped washing our clothes, so we could run diapers through the laundry instead.

Since I usually rotate through the same five outfits, this week's clean-laundry-shortage left me in a bright purple shirt and fuzzy paisley skirt for the impromptu introduction. Hopefully my admiration for all she does managed to outshine my shirt.

7. Excerpt From A Good Read

"When Jesus founded His Church on Peter, He asked him the same question three times: 'Peter, do you love me?' He could have said, 'Peter, will you be a man of character, capable of leading your brothers to follow in your path? Will you be a wise man, capable of instructing them and explaining things to them -- a model of virtue, as an example to them?' He did not ask a single one of those questions, but only, 'Peter, do you love me?' That is all. If Peter loved Jesus, the Holy Spirit would be in him, and he would lack nothing he needed to feed the lambs and the sheep."*



*Excerpt from I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux by Father Jean C.J. d'Elbee

Visit Jen @ Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes -- and post your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment