Friday, July 12, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday: The Social Justice Series

(volume 7)

1. Please don't forget the women.

The Texas Senate votes today on HB 2, which would require clinics that perform abortions to meet ambulatory surgical center standards, require abortionists to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles, and make abortion illegal after 20 weeks gestation.

According to current projections, the bill will pass easily, and is considered a "win" for the pro-life movement.

Sadly, Amendment 23 to HB 2 was tabled: to make more public the undeniable causal link between abortion/miscarriage and breast cancer.

Amendment 24 was also tabled: to provide prenatal, delivery, and postnatal care to women who seek and are denied abortion.

Yes, children's lives will be saved through this legislation, and I am encouraged these children will not be written off, because they dared to be conceived in less-than-ideal circumstances.

But may we not forget that children are not the only victims in abortion. Let us multiply our efforts to support the women who feel their situations are dire enough to need abortion.

2. Life without health insurance.

Ever wonder what the medical bills would look like for a person without health insurance who needs to go to the Emergency Room? Here's my experience: the kidney stone revelation.

3. Life. is life is life is life.

Do you see the irony that the same legislators who are meeting in a special session to passionately push through pro-life legislation, these same legislators work in the state with the most executions, in the country with the fifth most executions in the world?

Many claim those on death row are career criminals who just plain "deserve to die." Or, who cares about the details of their particular situations, "it doesn't change the fact that the world is just better off without them." 

Do we not realize, these are the same dehumanizing arguments used to justify abortion and euthanasia, especially of those who veer from the norm of our mental or physical expectations, those who are weak, disabled, or sick? In every person, always, regardless of past or present situations, is hope, is potential, is the opportunity to love and be loved. To write off just one person begins the process of writing off any one person.


More rant on the needlessness and uselessness of the death penalty here: is killing okay if it's only done by the government?

4. Health Insurance Alternatives

Sorry, back to the disenchantment with healthcare in America topic.

Lots of people ask me how our healthcare co-op works, so I put together some of our thoughts on the good and the bad we've experienced here: health care sharing ministries as an alternative to traditional health insurance.

Samaritan Ministries is a national program that currently has 24,000 households participating. Membership legally fulfills the requirement to carry health insurance, a part of the Affordable Care Act that is scheduled to take effect in January 2014.

5. Students, Loans, Debt, and Advising

I do think it's a step backward that student loan interest rates are going up. But I think the current advising system in most public colleges and universities is a bigger travesty.

Perhaps if 18-year-olds could be made to understand what $1000 means in tuition, work, and debt, they could better prepare for the future. I don't even know if this is possible.

But I sure wish in my 30,000+ student college experience, the advisors hadn't just been grad students pushing us through a course list and then out the door with a diploma.

Some real mentoring is needed. What are your talents and interests? What kinds of jobs could that lead to? What kind of lifestyle do you want to live? Do you know how much the bill will be each month after graduation to repay the loans you're taking out today?

6. Back to healthcare.

Never thought I'd say this, but Oregon seems to have a good system in place.

7. Geez, we've got a saint for everything.

I go to my mom when I need prayer for my kids.

I go to my friend when I need prayer for my job.

I go to my mentor when I need prayer for spiritual direction.

I wonder if St. Anthony rolls his eyes and sighs when we go to him looking for our key fobs.

Something's lost that can't be found; please, St. Anthony, look around.
Lots of people post Quick Takes over at Jen's!

1 comment:

  1. I'm just now reading over some of your blogs, which all having my cracking up, but this picture of St. Anthony put me over the edge! Too funny.

    Thanks for sharing your great stories and amazing life with us!

    -EB

    ReplyDelete