Thursday, February 14, 2013

7 Quick Takes: In Which Lent Begins

1. ON COURAGE AND TIME:

My walk of shame to the library's return desk has not yet occurred. I did have the audacity to check out two more books, four kids in tow, and felt the all-knowing eyes of the librarian reading my soul the whole time.

2. ON FORGOTTEN HOBBIES 
I went to a dance rehearsal for the first time in, well, a long time, and it felt good. Not the part where I threw up my breakfast in front of people I don't know. But the rest of it, felt good.

3. ON BEING A FB ADDICT:

I left Facebook for Lent, since I can't seem to use it in moderation. But I'm pretty sure this ensuing hyper-productivity will propel me to 2015, where Facebook no longer exists. Or the loss of my safety valve for high-anxiety situations will kill me. Either way, it's good for me to disconnect from my FB virtual unreality and reconnect with the reality of any given moment.

"My kid just threw up all over the cat who is rolling on the bed trying to clean herself up. I don't know what to do, but am feeling much better now that I've shared this on Facebook."

4. ON FASTING:

This is the first year in awhile that I don't have the excuse of being pregnant or breastfeeding to avoid real fasting. Aw, oh well. It still feels kind of gratuitious sleeping for 8 hours at night.

5. ON CAT ACCESSORIES
I don't usually advocate accessories for cats. BUT, here's one for $5, with an incalculable ROI: kitty litter mat.

Note: Kitty litter on mat. Kitty litter not on tile floor. Works like a magnet.

6. ON CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Let the conspiracy theories fly! Pope Benedict XVI is abdicating the chair of St. Peter! Here's my favorite theory.

Hint: It's not because his Germanic heritage forbids him from experiencing the trials of old age in the public spotlight.

7. ON MOVIE REVIEWS:

Obviously late to the party, but I just watched "There Be Dragons" (currently streaming for free with an Amazon Prime account)! An inspiring story about Josemaria Escriva, a young priest during the Spanish Civil War. It's got beautiful cinematography, and the storyline's not so saccharine that you feel like Disney princesses could eat it for breakfast. Josemaria is a modern-day saint who lived through war and persecution, trying to discern where God was in all of it. Relatable and hopeful.

To read more Quick Takes from random people's lives, click here!

1 comment:

  1. "It still feels kind of gratuitious sleeping for 8 hours at night." <-- This made me laugh out loud! I *totally* get what you mean!

    ReplyDelete